As of June 2023, the PBS app is supported on Android OS 5.1 or later.
How to Check Your Current Android OS Version
To see what Android OS your device is operating on, follow the steps below:
- Open the Settings app on your phone or tablet > About phone > Android version.
- You will see a number listed below the Android version indicating your device's current Android OS.
Options if Your Device is No Longer Supported
For users with older Android OS versions, we regret to inform you that the latest update for the PBS app is not compatible on your device. While you will still be able to access an older version of the PBS app, this version is no longer up to date or maintained. This means that the newest features, options, and even shows or episodes, in some cases, will not be accessible.
- We recommended checking your device to see if a newer Android OS update is available (Settings app > System > System update). If an update to Android OS 5.1 or later is available, download and install it.
- You can also try using PBS.org on the browser of your device, but are likely to encounter similar video playback issues if your device cannot run Android OS 5.1 or later.
- Use an alternative device instead such as a computer or supported smart TV or TV streaming device. Learn more about our currently supported devices by clicking here.