You are able to watch PBS videos on your Apple TV but you must first activate the device. The activation steps are similar regardless of whether or not you have the Passport member benefit (Learn more about Passport).
Not sure if you have an active Passport account? Click here to enter your email address and check
- When you are on your Apple TV and receive a message to activate, take note of the activation code.
- On your computer, tablet, or phone, open a web browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- Type http://www.pbs.org/activate in the address bar.
- Type your activation code in the textbox provided.
- Click Continue.
- Your Apple TV has been activated and you can return to your Apple TV to begin watching PBS videos.
- When you have the PBS app open on your Apple TV, click Settings located at the top of the screen.
- Click Deactivate located at the bottom of the screen. If you have an Apple TV 4, click Change Account > Log Out.
- A screen indicating the app needs to be activated appears.
- Activation instructions are displayed on the screen along with a 7-character activation code.
- Go to your computer and open a browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.
- In the address bar, type http://pbs.org/activate.
- Enter the seven-character activation code in the textbox provided. This is NOT your Passport activation code.
- Click Continue.
- You are taken to a new page asking you to sign in with a Google, Facebook, or PBS account.
- Choose the same account you used when you activated Passport. If you sign in with a different email address, you will not be signed in with your Passport account and will be unable to watch Passport videos.
- Return to your Apple TV. It has been automatically updated and you can begin watching Passport videos.
How to create a PBS account
Creating a PBS account allows you to use the same email address and password across all PBS products. This section demonstrates how to create a PBS account only. To create a Facebook or Google account, you must go to those individual websites (www.facebook.com and www.google.com).
* Please note that creating a Facebook and Google account can be done on the Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/) and Google websites (https://www.google.com/intl/en/mail/help/about.html).
- When you first come to PBS.org, click Sign in located in the upper left side of the screen (Figure 1).
- Next to "Don't have a PBS Account?" click Create one now (Figure 2).
- In the Name textbox, type your full name. Type your email address in the textboxes provided then create a password and type it into the Password textbox (Figure 3.1). Your password must have at least 8 characters and include both letters and numbers.
- Click Register (Figure 3.2).
- Once you click Register, you are signed in to PBS and are directed to the video homepage with your name showing at the top of the page (Figure 4). Use this login and password any time you log in to PBS products.